Things to Check Before Hitting the Road
— Cars.com (@carsdotcom) December 24, 2016
Car Maintenance Before a Road trip
If you’re eager to set out on a road trip now that many COVID-19 concerns are behind us, you’re not alone! Summer road trips and winter drives to visit family are classic traditions that we won’t take for granted any longer. While you may be excited to get behind the wheel, it’s important to take on some car maintenance before a road trip, especially if your vehicle hasn’t been driven much around Normal in the past year.
Whether you are driving a small distance or across Champaign or heading out for a cross-country drive, Sam Leman Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram of Bloomington suggests indulging in some seasonal car maintenance to certify that your vehicle and the occupants are set for the next adventure. Read on below to discover the proper car maintenance before a road trip with our service team!
Seasonal Car Maintenance Checklist
- Check your battery: Check your car battery to ensure that it is in the right condition and the terminals are clean. You can clean up any corrosion with a bit of baking soda and water. You’ll also want to double-check that your hold-down hardware is secure before hitting the road.
- Inspect the tires: Perform a close examination of the tires for signs of bulges or tears. Tires should have the right amount of tread left. Also, make sure that the pressure of the tires matches what’s in your car’s manual. It’s a good idea to inspect your spare tire at this stage as well.
- Top off fluids: Ensure that your oil, coolant, and brake, transmission, and power steering fluids are at the correct levels. Make sure to replenish your windshield washer fluid since you’ll want to keep a clear view of the road!
- Replace wiper blades: Worn-out wiper blades will make it hard to see and cause unnecessary stress should you encounter a rainstorm. Our parts team can help you get the proper blades in no time!
- Test your AC: If you’re heading out for a post-COVID-19 summer road trip, AC is your best friend! Make sure your AC is working well to beat the heat.
- Replenish your safety kit: Whether you’re taking on the classic summer road trip or you’re heading out for the holidays, a proper safety kit is a must-have. You’ll want to include things like a flashlight, first-aid supplies, drinking water, snacks, car battery jumper cables, emergency flares, a rain poncho, a basic tool kit, duct tape, gloves, and shop rags or paper towels.
Lastly, pack smart to avoid putting too much weight on the vehicle. If you stop by Sam Leman Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram of Bloomington before your road trip, the dealer can quickly check your car and solve any problems found. If you need help with your seasonal car maintenance, book an appointment with our service team today!
Visit Us in Bloomington for Complete Car Care
Now that you’re aware of the importance of keeping up with your service schedule, you’ll be prepared for your next journey. You can turn to Sam Leman Chrysler Jeep Dodge Bloomington to find an expert team that’s eager to get your vehicle back to tip-top shape. What’s more, we offer insightful service tips to help you through your Decatur projects! If you have any lingering questions, contact our service staff for guidance!